Tertiary Fees Funding Support: Mathematics
Primary and Intermediate Teachers
The Ministry of Education is continuing its tertiary fees subsidy scheme for approved mathematics and literacy papers. Up to 600 teachers each year will be supported to study a mathematics paper at the graduate or post graduate level. Half the tuition fee will be paid for by the Ministry of Education and half by the teacher’s school, or teacher. No release time or leave provision is part of this scheme.
The scheme is part of the Ministry of Education’s efforts to further develop teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge and understanding in key areas of learning and teaching. This scheme builds on from the work started in Ministry professional development programmes for teachers in literacy and numeracy. It aims to support schools’ efforts to raise the achievement of all their students through increasing the expertise and knowledge of their teachers.
Intermediate teachers studying for a postgraduate diploma in Middle Schooling may also apply for funding support for approved papers.
- Completed application forms sent to Ministry of Education. All application forms need to be signed by the teacher, principal and BOT representative.
- Letter of acceptance (or otherwise) sent to each teacher.
- Teachers formally apply to the university to enrol in the paper on application form. Note most university papers need a minimum number of students before they will be taught. If a paper does not proceed because of lack of numbers, students are welcome to seek enrolment into another approved paper.
- Teachers receive notice back from the university confirming they have been accepted into the paper and how much the tuition fee is.
- The school/teacher pays the full fee to the university. (Who pays for non tuition related fees or costs may need to be discussed by the teacher and Board of Trustees.)
- Teacher or school send a copy of the ‘confirmation of acceptance” (eg: a copy of the invoice from the university) to the Ministry of Education. Please make sure the teacher’s name and school is on this document. Non tuition costs should not be included.
- The Ministry of Education remits 50% of the tuition fee to the school operating account. Please be aware the process for authorizing payments and their receipt by schools can take 4 – 6 weeks.
- The teacher completes the paper.
- A copy of the teacher’s results needs to be sent to the Ministry of Education. Feedback and comments are also welcome from teachers and principals.
Criteria for acceptance
In the event of over-subscription to this scheme, applications will be selected according to specific criteria. The criteria will be applied in the order noted below. The primary or intermediate teacher is:
- currently a lead teacher of numeracy or mathematics
- part of a group of lead teachers of numeracy or mathematics who intend to enrol and study the same paper together
- part of a group of teachers from the same school, including a lead teacher, who intends to enrol and study the same paper together
- part of a group of teachers who intend to enrol and study the same paper together
- currently teaching numeracy and mathematics.
The geographical region successful applicants live will match as much as possible the proportion of the geographic region of all New Zealand teachers. The date each application is received will also be noted, with earlier applications selected over later ones when all else is equal.
Ministry of Education, Wellington
Phone: 04 463 7533
Applications for tertiary fees funding support 2013:
Applications for Semester 1 2013 closed as of 29th March 2013.
Applications for Semester 2 2013 open Monday 3 June 2013.
2013 Application Forms and Approved Papers
- 2013 application form (PDF, 22KB).
- Approved tertiary mathematics education papers in 2013 (PDF, 76KB).
- Approved tertiary middle schooling education papers in 2013 (PDF, 61KB).
- Approved tertiary literacy education papers in 2013 (PDF, 115KB).