The aim of this activity is to improve develop students' recall of the basic addition facts.
identify possible addends when given a number.
- Toss two bean bags at the target (on the floor).
- Determine the score.
- Once students are familiar with the task, give them the score and ask them to calculate where the bean bags may have landed.
What two number would you need to hit to achieve a score of 7, 8, 9 etc.
How many other ways could you throw to achieve that score?
What is the highest score you could achieve using this score board?
What score could you get in only one way
This activity is easily varied:
- Instead of sequential numbers, use random numbers.
- Increase the numbers to include all possibilities to 19.
- Increase the number of bean bags.