Guess My Number
In this activity students will use their knowledge of numbers between 1 and 100 to try to identify the teacher’s hidden number.
explore attributes of numbers between 1 and 100
- Explain to students that you have written down a number between 1 and 100 and that they are going to try to work out what number it is by asking questions about it.
- Students can ask questions one at a time, with the goal of narrowing down the possibilities left on the flip board.
- As each student asks a question the teacher answers it and that student can turn over any numbers that they now know are not the correct number. For example, if a student asks, “Is it a multiple of ten?” and the teacher says it is not, that student can flip over all the multiples of ten.
- Students should be encouraged to ask questions that reflect a range of understanding of numbers, for example, “Is it in the twenties?”, “Is it an even number?” is it greater than 50?” Direct questions such as “Is it 24?” should be discouraged, or even disallowed.
- Once the number is identified, the written down version should be shown, and if they are able enough, the ‘winning’ student could choose the next number and answer the other students’ questions.